Vehicular Ad Hoc Network (VANET) provides wireless communication among vehicles and vehicle to road side equipment's.It provides comfort and commercial applications to the road users. free ppt download
VANETIntroduction to VANET
-Vehicles connected to each others through an ad hoc
formation form a wireless network called “Vehicular Ad
-Vehicular ad hoc networks (VANETs) are a subgroup of
mobile ad hoc networks (MANETs).
-It includes V2V communications and V2R
communications and is important component of ITS.
-Nodes are expected to communicate by means of North
American DSRC standard that employs the IEEE 802.11p
standard for wireless communication.Continued..
• Vehicular Ad Hoc Network (VANET) provides wireless communication
among vehicles and vehicle to road side equipment's.
• It provides comfort and commercial applications to the road users.
Figure : Working structure of VANETWhy VANET
• Increase traveler safety
• 10.8 million vehicle crashes from 1990 to
• 36,000 fatalities in 2009 only
• 24,000 Deaths due to collision with other
vehicles / objects.
• Waste Oil around 100 billion per year
• Boost on-board luxuryVANETARCHITECTURE
Server (Traffic Server (Location
Monitoring) Based Service)Applications of VANET• When data is compromised, the
whole system suffers.
• The nature of VANETs could lead to
o Predictable movement of nodes.
o High mobility of victim/attacker.
• Adversaries could break the system.
o Data sinkholes (black hole)
o Feed false information.
o Sybil attacks.
o Flood the system.
• Security measures must be taken to
avoid malicious attacks on the system.Threats in VANET
Threats Threats Threats
to to to
Availability Authentication driver’s
ConfidentialityThreats to AvailabilityBlack
Fig. Black Hole Problem Threats to Authentication Because VANET mobility is higher than
MANET, routing with capability of ensuring
security in VANET is more problematic than
Illegal collection of messages by
eavesdropping and gathering of location
information available through the transmission
of broadcast messages.
Location privacy and anonymity are important
issues for vehicle users .• Mobility
• Privacy VS Authentication
• Privacy VS Liability
• Network Scalability• Message authentication and
• Message non-repudiation.
• Node authentication.
• Access control.
• Message confidentiality.
• Privacy protection.Authentication
Every message must be authenticated to make sure its origin and to
control authorization level of the vehicles
Vehicles sign messages with their private keys along with digital
Digital signature causes an overhead. To reduce this overhead ECC
(Elliptic Curve Cryptography) can be used- Vehicular network must be available all the time, in
- A delay in seconds for some applications will make
the message meaningless and maybe the result will be
- Attempting to meet real-time demands makes the
system vulnerable to the DoS attack. Accountability/Non-repudiation
• Non-repudiation will facilitate the ability to identify the attackers even
after the attack happens. This prevents cheaters from denying their crimes.
• Accountability is related to the ability to provide necessary evidence to
show how each party involves in the communications.
• Any information related to the car, e.g. the trip route, speed, time, any
violation will be stored in a tamper-proof OBU, any official side holding
authorization can retrieve this data.Privacy
• Keeping the information of the drivers away from unauthorized observers, this
information like real identity, trip path, speed etc.
• The privacy could be achieved by using temporary (one-time) keys. Keys are
stored in the tamper-proof OBU. The keys will be reloaded in next time that the
vehicle makes an official checkup.