An essay has been defined in a variety of ways. One definition is a "prose composition with a focused subject of discussion" or a "long, systematic discourse"
Elements of Essay
TypesDifferentTypes Of Essays
• • A Adm dmis iss sio ion n Es Ess sa ay y
• • L Lit itera erary ry Es Ess sa ay y
• • Co Com mpa pare re a an nd d Co Con nt tra ras st t Es Ess sa ay y
• • Sc Sch ho olla ars rsh hip ip Es Ess sa ay y
• • Res Resea earc rch h Es Ess sa ay y
• • Po Pos sit itio ion n Es Ess sa ay y
• • Inf Info orm rma all Es Ess sa ay y
• • Exp Expo os sit ito ory ry Es Ess sa ay y
• • Pro Proc ces ess s Es Ess sa ay y
• • A Aut uth ho or’ r’s s Sl Slide ide
• • Re Res so ourc urces es
• • Co Con nc cept ept M Ma ap p
This is the type of essay you may need
to write after you graduate from
high school. An admission essay is a
type of persuasive essay. It is used
by college students in an attempt to
convince the dean of admissions that
they are “right” for their school.
This type of essay is thought to be one
of the most challenging of all.
Literary essays are used to analyze
specific parts of a book or poem in
order to show the “deeper meaning” a
person has found in the book.
QuitCompare and Contrast
This type of essay is used by
individuals that wish to show the
differences or similarities between
two or several things (books, people,
This type of essay is an essay that
hopefully partners up with the
admission essay. It is usually used in
contests in order to help the winner
fund their education.
This essay is usually dreaded by
students from junior high school to
college. The research essay is a very
formal essay that requires the
individual to do rigorous research
about a topic and right a factual
essay about it.
This essay is not quite as hard as a
research essay, but it may require
one to read another’s findings from
their research. After reading the
findings the individual should write an
essay expressing their position in the
findings whether it is in agreement
This essay is, surprisingly enough, not
formal. In this essay the individual is
writing, but the writing sounds more
like a conversation between the
reader and the writer. The structure
is more “loose” than a research essay.